All Spark Electrical Logo
Call Us On 08 8260 4078

7 Common Electrical Problems at Home

We rely on electricity for nearly every aspect of our daily lives.  From lighting up our spaces, charging our devices, to heating or cooling the home. A functional electrical system is vital for modern living.  However, common electrical problems at home can arise unexpectedly, causing inconvenience and sometimes posing serious safety risks.

In this blog post we’ll explore the most common electrical problems at home that you might encounter and we’ll provide solutions to ensure your electrical systems are safe and efficient.

Please Note:  It is not possible to provide a quote for these sorts of works until we have visited your home.  Attending the site allows us to narrow down and isolate the cause of the electrical fault, and from there our team will happily provide you with an estimation of what it may cost to carry out the repairs required.

1.  Electrical Surges

Electrical surges can occur as a result of lightning strikes, faulty appliances, or issues with the power grid, and they can damage to your electrical appliances, incoming feed to the home, earthing system and in some cases your switch board which can even result into an electrical fire.

How do you know if your property is experiencing an electrical surge? A good indication is lights shining bright before blowing, or you will lose power to the entire property in the event of a severe surge.

During a surge, electricity is travelling faster than usual so to protect your devices, we recommend having a surge protector installed.  These should detect and block surges before damage can take place.

2.  Flashing or Flickering Lights

Flashing or flickering lights in the home are not only annoying, but they can also be an indicator of a deeper issue such as loose wiring, overloaded circuits, or the light fixture itself could be failing.

If changing the light bulb doesn’t solve the problem, we’d recommend contacting C & R All Spark Electrical so that one of our team can visit your home to diagnose the underlying issue.

3.  Faulty or Outdated Wiring System

Old or outdated wiring in a home can be a significant safety concern.  Upgrading your home’s wiring will not only improve safety but will also ensure that your home meets modern energy demands & complies with the current state & governments rules & regulations.

Signs that you may have faulty/outdated wiring in your home can include:

  • Buzzing or flickering lights
  • Burning smells or strange odours near electrical outlets or your switchboard
  • Warm or vibrating power outlets
  • Charring on power outlets
  • Frequent power fluctuations
  • Your circuit trips frequently
  • Metal & or timber conduits used for electrical wiring
  • Cotton or VIR cabling
  • Your property is pre-1980 and has never had an electrical re-wire

Indications of faulty wiring should always be taken seriously.  If you notice any of the aforementioned issues, please call us as soon as possible on 08 8311 2529 for a P1 faults job.

4.  Circuit Tripping

Circuit breakers, RCBOs & safety switches trip to protect your home from electrical overloads.  However, if they trip frequently, it’s not only inconvenient, but it could also indicate that there’s an underlying problem at play.

Initially we would recommend thinking about the appliances you had plugged in and operating at the time of the trip to see if you can isolate and identify the potentially faulty appliance, or the overloaded power board/circuit that caused the problem.

If it doesn’t appear to be related to a particular appliance or device, then we would advise organising C & R All Spark Electrical to come and investigate to ensure there’s nothing more dangerous at play.

5.  Power Outlet Problems

Damaged or non-functional outlets are not just an inconvenience, but can also be a safety hazard.  There are many reasons why they might not be working, from loose wiring to faulty fittings.

If you notice sparks, burn marks, a warm outlet or a loose outlet, you must cease using that outlet immediately and contact C & R All Spark Electrical on 08 8311 2529 so that we can address the issue promptly to avoid electrical fires.

This could also be an opportunity to consider the use of that particular power outlet, and whether it might be helpful to upgrade to a double GPO or a USB powerpoint; that can charge devices quicker and will decrease your need for double adapters, power boards or power packs.


power outlet with burn marks

6.  High Energy Bills

As the cost of living continues to increase in South Australia, many households are feeling financial pressures.  With electricity prices on the rise, it’s important to consider the many factors throughout your home that could be impacting on your energy consumption.

There are a few things that you could consider to reduce your energy consumption:

  • Upgrading to energy-efficient appliances and LED lighting.
  • Having your air conditioning regularly serviced to ensure that it is running efficiently.
  • Installing a solar system to reduce your reliance on power from the grid.
  • Installing a battery on your home to run in conjunction with your solar system.
  • Use power hungry appliances such as dryers, dish washers, electrical heaters and the like during the night and/or at retailer peak times.

7.  Power Outages

While power outages may not be directly related to your home’s electrical system, they are still a common issue in South Australia due to weather conditions or damage to the electrical infrastructure. Investing in a back-up generator, or battery storage for your solar system can provide peace of mind during extended outages.

If you’re experiencing any of the above common electrical problems at home and/or your place of business, the C & R All Spark Electrical team is here to help.  We are licensed, experienced, and professional.

Call us on 08 8311 2529 or request an estimate via our Contact form.

Latest Posts